Monday, April 18, 2005

I said it knowing full well I had no intention of doing it

This has got to be the greatest safety video in existence. It's a wee bit slow to get going, but when it does......Jesus. It's like the Evil Dead, in a German warehouse.

I've been seeing a lot of good films recently, and have to recommend Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr Vengence, Bubba Ho-Tep and The Machinist. My love for Christian Bale is well known, so I won't go into detail about the The Machinist. Let me just say, it's a bit more David Lynch-ey than Brad Anderson's last film Session 9, and better for it.

Now, Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr Vengence.......fuck me. I thought Takashi Miike was where it was at with regards to Asian cinema but these 2 Chan-wook Park films show just how fucking awesome and batshit crazy the Koreans are. You literally owe it to your brain to see them. They both deal with similar themes (revenge, inter-familial bonds, motherfuckers getting fucked up), but they do it in totally different ways. The range of emotion they take you through is unparralelled in most films coming out just now - you will not forget these movies, they will be burned into your psyche. Oh, and they are both stunningly photographed too.

Bubba Ho-Tep was good.....probably better than I gave it credit for, at first. I had built it up in my head so much that I was quite disappointed when I watched it. Then, after thinking about it for a while I realised I had kind of missed the point. I was a expecting an off the wall action film with JFK and Elvis kicking the shit out of a Mummy and cracking wise. What I got was a beautifully touching film that made you think. And I'm pretty sure that's better. I'm gonna rewatch it again soon with this new mindest.

So, what's coming up next? Sin City, which everyone informs me is the shit. Romero's Land of The Dead, which has gotta be awesome. Star Wars - if Lucas fucks this up I'm pretty sure someone will put a hit out on him, you know what enraged geeks are like. And coming up really soon - The Hitchiker's Guide to The Galaxy. I'm gonna go see this when I'm up in Glasgow, and I really don't know what to expect. The previews look amazing, but will it capture the book's glorious nonsense? I hope so.

1 comment:

sarah said...

I love love love Christian Bale, but The Machinist seems to be the only movie I haven't seen. I can't find it anywhere around here. I'm still looking though!