Sunday, December 19, 2004

Eat shit and die, you shittering shit

HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHAT IS WRONG WITH CAPTAIN AMERICA?!

I was going to shrink that photo down or crop it or some shit, but in the end I thought you would want to see it in it's entire glory. WHAT IN THE HOLY FUCK IS WRONG WITH CAPTAIN AMERICA?! If you are eagle eyed, you may spot the subtle signature of one 'Rob Liefeld'. Now, I used to be a wee bit of a comic fan in my teen years. Mcfarlane, Liefeld, Larsen and co had just jumped ship from Marvel to form Image comics, where they could have creative control of their stuff and... yadda yadda yadda... to cut a long story short - I lapped their Image shit up. I never noticed anything particularly wrong with Liefeld's art, I was probably more interested, as any adolescent with an abundance of spunk, in the huge fucking breasts on every second page. Oh and the guns, too.

It's only now that I have grown up (hahahahaha) and started to read a few *adult* comics that I realise how shitty his stuff looks. It really is aimed at horny 13 year old magpie children. "Whoa, look at the tits on that, look at the entirely unfeasible curvature of her spine, the muscles upon muscles, the giant fucking shiny guns and swords, the glowing eyes, Jesus this is the best thing ever!!!"

Now, I canny really draw, but I can get the fucking eyes in the right place. He obviously has ability, but he seems to have a fucked up grasp of human proportion, musclature and skeletal structure. And he canny draw feet! Sweet Mother of Christ, his comics look like they take place in a special school.

If it wasn't for browsing the Something Awful forums yesterday, I could have totally forgotten about Rob Liefeld and the collection of his comical abortions I have gathering dust back up in Glasgow, so I'd like to say thanks to them. Go check out the thread, it's hilarious/terrifying.

I think when I'm back up over Xmas I'm going to have to dig out my comics, to see just how much of his shit I have. I suppose it's good for a laugh, we all love to mock the afflicted.

If you want to read some good comic books, may I suggest The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (both volumes), The Filth, The Walking Dead (both volumes), Monkey Vs Robot and anything from Scarygoround.

No comments: